Many of you already use Mailchimp to send out your Advant documents because of how easy it is to use and how great it makes your emails look. For those who aren’t already using Mailchimp, we thought we’d use this month’s blog to go through the basics.
What is Mailchimp?
Mailchimp is an email service provider that allows you to send fully formatted emails to your subscriber base in minutes. It has a bunch of features but today we’ll specifically be covering how to use it when integrating with Advant.
Why we love it
- Your newsletters appear in the body of the email – Rather than sending a PDF or html link of your newsletter, Mailchimp means your beautifully designed Advant documents will appear in the body of the email. This will result in increased readership as sometimes people are reluctant to clink on links or download files. It also means your branding is front and centre when they view the email.
- Every client gets an individual email – Instead of sending a mass email using a BCC list, each client receives an individual email in their inbox.
- List management – Mailchimp makes it easy to upload hundreds of contacts in minutes. It also manages your list for you, keeping them clean of unsubscribes.
- Advanced reporting – Mailchimp’s reporting goes from the macro down to the granular. Reporting takes the form of visually appealing graphs which make it easy to ascertain at a glance what your audience is opening and reading.
- Price – If you have less than 2000 contacts, and don’t plan to send more than 12,000 emails a month, it’s completely free.
Setting up Mailchimp
If you don’t have a Mailchimp account, you can sign up here. It will only take a few minutes.
Uploading client lists
Once you’re in Mailchimp it’s time to set up your client lists. First, you’ll need to export your client database from your CRM as an excel spreadsheet or csv file. Then, under the audience tab in the top left corner, you’ll need to click “manage audience” > “Import contacts” > “Copy/paste from file”. At this point, you can copy and paste the cells from your spreadsheet into Mailchimp. You will then be directed to label each column (email, first name, address etc), before finalising the import.
Integrating Advant and Mailchimp
Now that you’ve set up a Mailchimp account and uploaded your lists, it’s time to integrate the two platforms.
To link your Mailchimp account to your Advant Plus account, simply select the Mailchimp option on your Linked Accounts page within Advant Plus, and follow the prompts.
Sending your documents to Mailchimp
Once the accounts are linked you will now have the option to send out newsletters and snapshots to Mailchimp. From your home screen, simply click the “manage” icon to the right of the document in question. A dropdown menu will appear with a “Mailchimp” option. Click it and your Advant document will be sent to Mailchimp.
Preparing your campaign for distribution
Back in Mailchimp you will find your Advant document under the Templates section. Click the arrow to the right of the “edit” button. A dropdown menu will appear with the option to “create campaign”. Once in the campaign view, you will be instructed to choose which list you want to send to, a subject line, and the email you want the newsletter to be sent from. Send a test email to yourself to make sure you’re happy, and then send it out to your subscribers.
To make things even simpler we’ve also made a video to step you through the process:
Advant’s advanced integration with Mailchimp is pretty seamless and makes sending regular content to your clients simple and efficient. If you need help with any of the above give us a call, or email email@example.com.