In this instalment of the Advant Blog we will be discussing why you should have your own company blog and how this will benefit your practice.
Blogs are a wonderful thing. They are a fantastic way to build credibility for your practice, connect with your clients and even attract new clients.
Blogging is a great addition to your marketing strategy. It provides your existing clients with useful information and reminds them of your expertise, while adding a little of your own personal touch.
What’s so great about a company blog?
- As always – content is king! You know your audience best, and know what they will be interested in, so keep your audience firmly in mind when writing your company blog. Be sure to stay relevant and on topic.
- You don’t want to write too much, but also don’t want to be too brief. It’s a balancing act to get useful information out there, but in a succinct and to-the-point kind of way.
- Don’t be afraid to use images. The beauty of a blog is that it’s easy to use images to help strengthen your point, or just to add a bit of colour and flair.
- When writing about business related content, be sure to stay on target, but remember you can write informally in a company blog. You don’t necessarily have to write about financial planning. You could write about a topic that’s close to your heart. For example, if you’re an avid bike rider, write about the Tour de France!
- Write in your own everyday language/writing style. Forget the well-known rules, and use the expressions you use every day. It’s a great way to make your posts more enjoyable and personalised.
- Strike a balance between being so formal that it sounds like a business letter, and so informal that it would read like a text message to your best mate. Try to aim for a balanced tone; the language you use can be casual, but still sound professional.
- Make sure you have headings to break up the text, instead of an intimidating wall of text or a long and boring stream of consciousness. You want your blog to be concise and to the point.
- Don’t waste too much time writing it, it’s not a dissertation. Generally between 500 and 700 words will suffice.
- You can customise the font and colour theme of your blog to match your practice colours and include a relevant image.
- The most important part of blogging is having a catchy title to draw people in and entice them to read your blog. The title should hint that they’ll benefit from reading the article in some specific way, such as boosting their income by X percent. Make sure the title lets them know exactly what to expect, without giving too much away.
Benefits to your business:
As with all communications, consistency is important, not just for the sake of establishing a regular rhythm to your blog but also for enhancing your online presence. Blogging drives traffic to your website, drawing in new clients and increasing your SEO (search engine optimisation). But you must blog regularly to reap these kinds of rewards. Remember to check how many hits your blog generates to see how much traffic your blog is driving to your website.
The hardest part is figuring out what to write about! If you’re stuck for a starting point, keep an eye out for the next Advant Blog. We’ll be sharing out top 10 ideas for dynamic and engaging blog topics.